Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Advent Conspiracy

My immediate family has gone to making handmade gifts that we exchange for the last few Christmases. My sisters and I finally gave up birthday-gifting each other this year. As they have moved away and times have gotten tight as we've moved out on our own, we have begun to realize that being together is what is most treasured and most important.

Even with the kids, my sisters have for the past two years taken the girls "shopping" - at first because it meant they didn't have to travel with gifts, but an unforseen (at least by me) benefit is that it has given them time together.

I'm not saying my kids are angels, but keeping them out of mainstream culture as much as we have has kept them from knowing what they might be missing and they are just as happy with a small toy or piece of clothing than the big ticket items. In fact, the less they get, the more they seem to appreciate and actually use/play with/wear the gift than if they are inundated with presents.

This year I've decided I'm not buying another darn thing. I just bought a raffle ticket for my two sisters, one sister-in-law, two brothers-in-law, my parents, Mike's parents and my grandma for our school auction fundraiser. I'll also make our homemade exchange gift (if I can ever come up with a unique idea that is!)

The kids don't need anything. A few years ago I discovered that they got so many presents from their very generous aunts and grandparents and few friends that they didn't even know the difference when I didn't buy them birthday gifts or Christmas gifts. This year I will fill their stockings on Saint Nicholas' Day as I always have, but will not buy the one gift I've traditionally presented them with on Christmas day as we have birthday cake for Jesus.

At first I felt guilty about using birthday money and emptying their savings accounts to pay their school tuition bills, but the more time I spend at their school and involved in the community, the more I see kids that are being raised in a more mainstream, secular environment, the more I know that this investment in their soul is worth an empty savings account. It's worth having to teach a class on top of my full time job to pay their tuition. It's worth not having a bigger house or fancier furniture. And it's certainly worth not buying them extra gifts - because we have PLENTY of toys, games, gadgets, movies and books. We are not wanting for anything!

This holiday season, with everyone moaning about the "economy" please be thankful for the gift of being able to realize a need from a want. Be thankful for everything you do have that truly matters: your eternal soul, family, friends, shelter, food and clothing, your health (if you have it!) and yes, even your daily sufferings which a) are probably not as bad as someone elses and b) can be offered up to God for any myriad of causes. Please consider being part of an Advent conspiracy and keeping CHRIST in Christmas. If you want to give someone a gift, consider giving them a gift from this catalog! or donating to a cause dear to your heart in their name. Give the gift that keeps on giving!

No comments: